Monday, August 18, 2014

Vocabulary #1

adumbrate - verb give to understand; describe roughly or briefly or give the main points or summary of
He adumbrated his life to the girl he just met.

apotheosis - noun the elevation of a person (as to the status of a god); model of excellence or perfection of a kind; one having no equal
He believes he is apotheosis, but no one else see him that way.

ascetic - adj. practicing great self-denial; pertaining to or characteristic of an ascetic or the practice of rigorous self-discipline
That ascetic boy over there doesn't fit in with the rest of us.

bauble - noun a small, showy trinket or decoration
They always show of the baubles they get from their parents.

beguile - verb attract; cause to be enamored; influence by slyness
His way with words beguiled an audience around him to listen to his stories.

burgeon - verb grow and flourish
All of these kids will burgeon throughout the year.

complement - noun something added to complete or make perfect; either of two parts that mutually complete each other; a word or phrase used to complete a grammatical construction;number needed to make up a whole force; a complete number or quantity; one of a series of enzymes in the blood serum that are part of the immune response; verb make complete or perfect; supply what is wanting or form the complement to
They work together so well because her imagination is complemented by his innovation.

contumacious - adj. wilfully obstinate; stubbornly disobedient
I have to send the contumacious kids to the corner of the room, until they listen and behave.

curmudgeon - noun a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas
I had to deal with his dad who was a curmudgeon if I ever saw one.

didactic - adj. instructive (especially excessively)
Mainly I'm a didactic teacher to these kids.

disingenuous - adj. not straightforward or candid; giving a false appearance of frankness
I'm not a disingenuous teacher, I don't try to be your best friend in the beginning and then crazy at the end.

exculpate - verb pronounce not guilty of wrong doings
I try to exculpate them when they don't understand what they did wrong.

fulminate - verb cause to explode violently and with loud noise; come on suddenly and intensely; criticize severely
I have to keep level headed when all of the kids fulminate before lunch.

fustian - noun a strong cotton and linen fabric with a slight nap;pompous or pretentious talk or writing
When I talk to them I have to avoid my normal  use of fustian and talk more to their level.

hauteur - noun overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors
The mayor's son believes he has hauteur over the rest of his class mates.

inhibit - verb limit the range or extent of; to put down by force or authority
I have to inhibit the amount of play time, so they will have time to learn what they need to learn.

jeremiad - noun a long and mournful complaint
I always get jeremiads about how I don't give the kids a nap time.

opportunist - adj. taking immediate advantage, often unethically, of any circumstance of possible benefit; noun a person who places expediency above principle
I admit I am and opportunist person and not everyone agree with how I teach.

unconscionable - adj. greatly exceeding bounds of reason or moderation; lacking a conscience
I was brought in to replace the old, unconscionable teacher because he would beat the kids with a ruler.

faux pas- noun an embarrassing or tactless act or remark in a social situation
I try my hardest to get rid of the faux pas of their first year of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment